DNL-Histoire-Géo-Anglais - Niveau Terminale : « The UK : a maritime power ? ».
Objectifs notionnels : maritime power, nuclear deterrence (nuclear powered attack submarine), Royal Navy, EEZ, BOT
Capacités – compétences : Understand what is the « nuclear deterrence » and how it is implemented. Know where are the british naval bases. Know what is life on a nuclear submarine. British naval forces (HMS).
Documents / outils mobilisés :
- 10 premières minutes de la série VIGIL (passe régulièrement sur Arte.tv). VIGIL is a British television series created by Tom Edge (produced by World Production) aired on BBC One in August 2021; on Arte.tv in January 2023
Plot: A crew member is found dead aboard the Trident nuclear submarine of the Royal Navy HMS VIGIL. Detective Chief of the Scottish Police Service Amy Silva is flown out to investigate…
- vidéo : « On board Britain nuclear submarine Trident”. (Navy Lookout)
- video : “ Life on board on a nuclear submarine based in Puget Sound”.
- The Guardian: “Life on board a British nuclear submarine” (21 August 2012).https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/aug/21/life-on-board-nuclear-submarine
- The Guardian « Vigil portrayed us as malevolent robots - submariners torpedo BBC nautical hit thriller » https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/sep/25/vigil-portrayed-us-as-malevolent-robots-submariners-torpedo-bbc-nautical-hit-thriller
Activités des élèves :
1st session (1h) : Watch the first 10 minutes of the series « VIGIL » - or the trailer if the series is not available.
Questions about : the Royal Navy, nuclear submarine, naval base, opponents of nuclear power, women on board…
Questions : (for example : « Does HMS Vigil exist ? » - no, but the HMS Viligant exists ! And also 3 others… manes. What are their missions ? What is the nuclear deterrence ?...)
Evaluation : Use the Royal Navy website ; then choose a ship. You are different members of the crew. Present your ship, its / her mission, your own role on board…